Monday, April 7, 2014

Yet another wild wild week in Brazil.


So, between two days of General conference that we spent just about the whole day outside of our area and two days of exchanges that I spent in other areas I only worked for two days in Parque São Bento so that was kind of weird to participate so little in our work here. I think I spoke more english this week than I have for the entire 2 months I've been here in Brazil so that was weird too. On wednesday on exchange I traded with the one Brazilian in a house were the other 3 missionaries are Americans so that was game over on the Portuguese. Then on Sunday we watched the English broadcast of General Conference in a room with all english speakers. It was hilarious to hear how we mixed the portuguese phrases with english words and it didn't make any sense. ("That didn't give" for example in portuguese means that "that didn't work" and another elder couldn't remember if it made sense or not).
www.lds.org  GENERAL CONFERENCE
I loved so many of the talks at conference. It was interesting to watch on saturday in Portuguese and receive revelation even when I wasn't understanding all the words and stories. I love that the prophet and apostles are always inviting us to action and promising blessings. One amazing promise is Elder L. Tom Perry's declaration that if we are seeking to be obedient to the will of the Lord we can always have confidence that we are making the right choice, even as we are bombarded with options.

In comical news this week: We went to give a blessing to a brother in our ward and I was asked to anoint his head with the oil that has been consecrated for the blessing of the sick. The trick was that as I went to do so I stuttered on the word for sick ("enfermo") and nearly said the word "Inferno" meaning "Hell." Fortunately I caught myself and corrected it and did NOT bless him with oil consecrated for the blessing of hell. After my companion said he didn't hear the slip up so it looks like I'm in the clear.

Until Next Week,

~Elder Della-Piana


No comments:

Post a Comment