Monday, March 24, 2014

First Baptism in Brazil!

This baptism was a sweet miracle. Well the first baptism was definitely a highlight. Andressa was baptized on Saturday and her Mom came Sunday for her confirmation. Her mom couldn't make it to the baptism but said "And what if I go and want to be baptized too?" We invited her but she didn't come so maybe in a couple weeks. 

Elder DP, Andressa and Elder Soares
We originally got her address because we went out to lunch and a guy there heard me struggling to place my order and asked if I was american. After a couple minutes of trying to describe snow and him mocking my accent we explained what we do as missionaries and got his address and said we'd pass by sometime. After a few weeks we finally passed there and he wasn't home but we taught his mom and his sister and they were really interested. His sister (Andressa) started reading the Book of Mormon and studying it with the Bible, she came to church that Sunday and two weeks later she was baptized! She has a ton of faith and is really excited about the new things she is learning in church. What a blessing to be part of helping others come unto Christ.   (Erick still mocks my accent and tries to teach me all the slang like "Tranquilo como grilo" - peaceful like a grasshopper, yes people use that to great each other here. It's awesome.)

What a sweet week.  I think I mentioned Guilherme last week, a young man that a member referred us to. Well he came to church again and his mom came too. He's super excited and is already integrating with the members. We brought the Relief Society President to a lesson with his mom and it was great. His mom (Anna) keeps talking about how she feels like she's seeking something more in life and that us showing up is an answer to that. They're super cool to which is awesome, it's fun to teach them. He came to the baptism this week and really liked it.  He couldn't say enough good things.

Life is good here in Brazil. During my mission so far something I've definitely learned is summed up by President Thomas S. Monson "Nothing is as constant as change." It's so true but it's nice to know there's a purpose for that. Our life is given so we can grow and as soon as we get comfortable, change happens. The mission it's so true. I feel so stretched all the time but it's great to know that I'll grow because of it. I'm seeing it already. 

Sure love you guys,
~Elder DP

No comments:

Post a Comment