Wednesday, June 4, 2014

4 Months in Brazil

You know that feeling when you're not paying attention and all of a sudden you realize you haven't had an American meal in four months... Well, I know there's at least a few that can relate.

Wow does time fly by, it feels like yesterday I descended the plane from Colorado into the hot São Paulo air lost with NO ability to read ANY signs or ask for direction and by some fortune stumbled upon the Brazilian with a sign for the american missionaries. Now four months later all the Brazilian customs are seemingly normal. Having packs of wild dogs roaming the streets, banana trees in the middle of a park, rice and beans every day, telefone wires hanging at chest-height with a dozen kites caught in each one, clapping instead of knocking on doors, all these things are starting to seem normal. The only thing I still havn't lost - and probably never will loose - is the accent.

Well this week is transfers, we should be getting a call this afternoon on who is out and who stays. Having already been in Parque São Bento for 4 months it's quite probable I'll be headed out. I've loved this area. I think just about everyone in the neighborhoods recognizes the tall American that walks these streets on the daily. 

It was a slow week, not may people let us in, we got shut in the house because of a busdriver/police "greve" (I forgot the word in english it's when they stop working to make a point). It also rained the ENTIRE weekend so not many people were in the streets to talk to. I took solace in the words of the late Elder Joseph B. Worthlin of the quorom of the twelve apostles "The next time you're tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead" - boy was I tempted to groan but I thought of this quote and found myself still smiling even as we were trudging through the rain, being rejected and lied to to be avoided. (funny lie of the week - we talked to a guy twice and he tried to say that the other time it was his twin brother but his story contradicted and it became clear it was him, oh Brazil). That's the nice thing about life though, happiness is a choice, I don't need my situation to dictate my happiness.

Well Life's Good, keep on keeping on! I apologize to anyone that I haven't been able to reply to personally, time's a crunch when our hour of email comes around for the week. I do love letters and have more time to reply to those ;) 

Até Mais,

~Elder Della-Piana


PS I think the word for 'greve' is boycott? nope... it's strike, there was a busdriver strike... wow that took a long time to remember

No comments:

Post a Comment