Wednesday, February 19, 2014

São Bento

Beleza!

Well another week of challenges and blessings in São Bento. I had a couple firsts this week. My first time in charge of the area on exchange, my first time understanding someone while talking on the phone, and my first time being chased down by a drunk and having him explain Joseph Smith's first vision to me.

So last week before Sacrament Meeting our Bishop pulled us aside and asked us to give a talk the next sunday (yesterday) and informed Elder Paixão that he would have 10 minutes to speak and me that I would have 5. Since we had just been told by our Mission President to focus on Baptism that's what we talked about. I got up there and explained that we were passing on the message from President and how Baptism and the Gospel of Jesus Christ helps us improve our lives and enter the Kingdom of God. Then Elder Paixão got up there and talked about miracles of baptism to help the members understand the focus President Martins has given us. 

Anyways, so the drunk guy that one night. So when he first saw us I heard him say "Look it's the elders" to someone else and I didn't relize he was THAT drunk so I said, "Oh, have you talked to missionaries before?" And he went at it talking about the hundreds of missionaries he knew and Elder Hunt and how much he helped him 12 years ago and how many times he's gone to the church. It was all the more exciting because it was pouring rain and we were literally treading in ankle deep water at several points in our journy and I was on exchange with another American that isn't fluent yet in portuguese. After he taught me how to pray and then knelt in the middle of the street to show me we finally dropped him of safely home. We went back the next day and taught his family. Turns out he was a former investigator that just keeps drinking and smoking and hasn't shown desire to stop. I could see how bad he needs the transforming power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in his life and I hope with all my heart that he will embrace it this time because his family needs it. 

I love the example in acts of Baptism in CH 19 when some Apostles teach to a multitude and 3000 people are baptized that day. This is basically what Elder Paixão wants to do here. He is definitely excited about baptism.

Anyways, the work is hard but I'm still loving it. I'll write again next week
Love you all!


Elder Della-Piana

No comments:

Post a Comment