Friday, September 6, 2013

Half Time at the MTC

Elder Klingler - Elder DP - Elder Burton


Dear Family and Friends, 

Wow it's crazy how time has flown here. I can't believe we are only 15 DAYS AWAY from potentially getting our reassignments to our stateside missions if visas don't come through. It feels like just yesterday I was walking in with my orange sticker with no idea where I was or what to do, having to look at the maps to know where I was going and looking lost in the cafeteria feeling like the first day of high school again. It's amazing how the MTC distorts time.

One of the crazy things that has happened to me is that I have not had a single chance to get in a rhythm while I've been here. Every time I get in a flow they switch it up on me. First it was the companions and becoming Zone Leader but now it's that they made us switch buildings for class and completely changed our schedule. The new schedule is actually really nice, we went from 6:30 breakfast to 7:15 and class starts at 9 instead of 7 now, but we are definitely being prepared for being flexible once we hit the mission field. 
Elder Johnson - Elder Moore - Elder DP
So the great thing of the MTC is how much you grow. 

Every day I get new inspiration that shifts my perspective or uplifts me or just reminds me of how true the gospel is. One growing experience has definitely been seeing how the Lord truly knows "how best to succor his people" (Alma 7:12). The MTC is hard. It's hard to study for long hours and try to teach in a language you've only known for three weeks. There is a lot of pressure to because of the importance of the task that sometimes I have gotten angry at myself for making mistakes. Sometimes it's hard also to see other missionaries wasting time or being disobedient and driving away the spirit because of how important our purpose is as missionaries. The Lord has blessed me that as I have asked and been humble I have been guided to find inspiration on how to overcome this. 

One of the important lessons I have learned is that we are not expected to be perfect, but we are expected to improve. I thought of President Watson's council that growth requires repentance. I have learned that even though I am not perfect now, the Lord has suffered for my imperfection and I can rely on him as I identify my weaknesses and seek to repent and change. One specific experience has been as I have sought to develop my relationship with my companion Elder Moore who has a very different attitude from me. We may not have been very good friends even though we are both football players because we are very different in attitudes about study and obedience. As I have prayed I have grown to love him and we have been united in our purpose. It's awesome.

At the same time the MTC is so much fun. I have a super fun Zone and District and we have a ton of fun at gym, in the residence, at lunch and sometimes too much fun during study time. Yesterday it was funny at dinner when we peeled a banana down the side so you couldn't tell it was empty and then we put it back and just watched peoples reactions as they grabbed it and were totally stumped so they put it back for the next person. You have to have a little fun right?

I am so thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful that through faith, repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost I can receive blessings from the Lord, that I can be guided by him as I pray and study the holy scriptures. I have seen it again and again in my own life and I am so glad to get to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel." As we come unto Christ and live according to his Plan of Happiness our souls are filled, we find our purpose in this life and I have faith that we will receive a fullness of joy in the life to come. 
I love you all, 
~Elder Della-Piana

No comments:

Post a Comment